“What then? Are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;  as it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one:  there is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.”
Outside Christ nobody is righteous before God not the gentiles nor the Jews. None had an excuse not to live righteously. Nobody could attain God’s righteous standard.
Heb 8:7-12 there was a fault in the first covenant because it couldn’t make anyone righteous. Not even one.
The first covenant says obey my commandments if you will be righteous the second says I will be merciful to their unrighteousness and their sins I will remember no more.
Under the new covenant:
- We received righteousness as a gift
- Performance is no longer a prerequisite for righteousness but the result.
The only requirement for salvation is believe in Jesus.
HOW THEN DOES PERFORMANCE COME AS A FRUIT AFTER WE RECEIVE THE GRACE OF GOD
- Boast in his power (remind yourself of who you are in Christ) 2 Cor 5:17
- You must learn to see it work Eph 2:1-10
- Trust his work through reliance on his word. Eph 2:10
-Grace teaches to deny ungodliness and worldly lust
– it produces zeal for good works
It is true that you received righteousness as a gift, but your works points to your faith.
We can bear fruits effortlessly through trusting in the work of the spirit of God in us. We are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. We are a new man in Christ. We are no longer servants of sin but of righteousness
- Thank him (boast in his power at work in you) acknowledge his mighty working power in your life.