I recently caught the Twitter bug and honestly, I am tired already.
Everywhere you turn, sex this, sex that. Beyond social media, almost everything everywhere we turn is about sex. All these vibes are confusing and distracting.
It is no longer news that Satan is the god of this world and the system of the world is anti-God. Hence, it is not surprising to see the world fiercely pushing agendas that are anti-God. One of which is this hyper-sexualized culture.For a believer, it is important that intentional efforts be made to stay pure in this hypersexualized world Click To Tweet
Staying pure in a hyper-sexualized world.
- First, you need to realize the fact that Satan is out to distract God’s children from their mission on the earth. One of his major tools is sexual immorality.
- Secondly, you also need to understand that God’s standards hasn’t changed. Irrespective of how sexually perverse this generation is, God still expects that we be pure and live lives worthy of our calling as His children. He also empowers us to live this life.
- Thirdly, you need to intentional guard your heart. You don’t have to follow every page on social media, you don’t have to watch every single program on TV, and you don’t have to attend to every invitation. You ought to guard your heart like one protecting something important because it is. Rom 6:13-14 teaches on how you are slaves to whom you obey – whether slaves to righteousness or slaves to sin so we need to consciously and continually refuse to yield our members to unrighteousness.
- Pay attention to the company you keep: Who are your friends? You cannot be saying you want to be pure if you spend the most time with people who talk about and engage in sexual immorality. You have to be selective about your friends. Don’t just go with the crowd, prayerfully choose your friends
- Dear man/woman of God, don’t overestimate yourself. Build boundaries. Joseph is a great example in this case. He didn’t stay to pray or study bible with Potiphar’s wife to talk her out of it , he fled! That’s the bible way – Flee every appearance of evil. Don’t be like Eve who started to discuss and reason with the devil because that was where her journey to deception began. So stop allowing yourself to be alone with your intended partner in a dangerous spot and time. Unfollow those unhealthy pages on social media. Do not think they do nothing to you. Seeds are being sown in your heart.
- Also, pray! This may sound cliché but it cannot be overemphasized.
Jesus said in Matthew 26:41 – watch and pray that you don’t fall into temptation. This goes to say, if you don’t pray you are opening yourself up to temptation. When you pray, especially in the Spirit, you become conscious of the life of God within you and you are strengthened even more to stand against sin.
- Finally, I would conclude with this verse in the book of Psalms 119:9 – “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your Word” Let the Word of God be the final umpire on matters you meet on a daily basis. The reason for your choice to stay pure should anchor on the Word of God and not on people’s experiences and expectations because those are fleeting. Because the people of this world would always come up with reasons to sway you and to excuse the sexual perversion prevalent in the world today. Hence, there is need to daily choose God’s word over other people’s opinions and experiences no matter how valid it seems.
Conclusively, as believers, we do not leave ourselves to chance. We are intentional about how we live our lives because if you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything. I also must say, it is very possible to be pure in this generation. Don’t listen to the devil when he makes it seem like you’re the only one standing for purity. We are many on this side, so that tells you how possible it is.
I should also state that purity isn’t just a matter of virginity, it is you staying choosing to be sexually pure through and through even in your thoughts. It is not easy but it is very possible. No matter how far you have gone, today is a good day to start afresh.
Make a decision today to be pure – in your thoughts, conversations and actions. The grace of God is available and sufficient for you!